If you haven’t got a friend that can hook you up with some work you will most probably need to hand in a CV or Resume when you are applying for jobs in Oz.
Tips to keep in mind:
- Make it clear and concise – brief is best, they don’t want to know your life story, just what is relevant to the job (no more than 1-2 pages). Make sure your grammar and spelling is correct – it shows your attention to detail!
- Use one font the whole way through and set things out so that it’s easy on the eyes for anyone reading it (in other words – easy to read).
- Don’t forget to put your contact information – make sure it’s clearly displayed and if you are using a hostel address that’s fine, just don’t include the name of the hostel as most employers will assume you won’t be around for long. It might also be an idea to create an Aussie e-mail address, for example .com instead of .co.uk etc.
- Highlight specific skills & customise your CV relevant to the job you are applying for. Don’t just make statements; put them into context i.e. how you demonstrate particular skills not just that you have them – they want to see you have the right skills/experience for the job so tailor it.
- Previous job experience is very important. When listing this information make sure you put your most recent employment first as it is most important – include company name and location, your role/title, start and end date, brief description of responsibilities and highlight any achievements especially if they may be of benefit to your prospective employer