A majority of travelers enter Australia on a Working Holiday Visa (subclass 417). Those who decide they like it here may be eligible for a second Working Holiday visa and have the opportunity to stay for another year if they perform specified work in an eligible regional Australian area for a minimum of three months (88 days) whilst on their first Working Holiday visa.
Let me break that down for you?
1. have completed three months of specified work in regional Australia while on your first Working Holiday (417) visa (there is no requirement to do further specified work on the second visa)
2. not have previously entered Australia on a Work and Holiday (462) visa
3. be aged between 18 and 30 years (inclusive) at the time of applying, however, you may be aged over 30 years of age at the time your visa is granted
4. be applying no more than 12 months before you intend to travel to Australia, if applying from outside Australia
5. will not be accompanied by dependent children at any time during your stay in Australia
So, now you have satisfied those requirements, what exactly does specified work in an eligible regional Australian area mean?
Specified work: work undertaken in a specified field or industry in a designated regional area including plant and animal cultivation, fishing and pearling, tree farming and felling, mining, construction as described here.
This specified work must be undertaken in a regional area as listed in the Regional postcode list here.
Finally, don’t forget the Employment Details Form !!! Make sure you use this to keep records of your work as you will need this information when applying for your 2nd Year Working Holiday Visa.
Also, both the requirements for specified work and regional are outlined on pages 1 and 2 of Form 1263. Please read this carefully as you don’t want to spend 3 months working and then not be eligible for your second year visa because you didn’t meet the specific requirements!
If you’ve got any questions for us regarding the second holiday visa, or any other visa related queries please fill out the below form…