Partner/Defacto Visas

Partner Visa or Prospective Marriage

If you are in a relationship with an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible NZ citizen, and want to stay permanently in Australia, then you may be eligible for a partner visa. This applies whether you are married or living in a de facto relationship or same-sex couple.

Spousal visas are a 2 phase visa. Firstly a 2 year temporary visa is issued and then you receive your permanent residence visa upon application. The relationship must still be continuing and documents must be provided to evidence this.

Basic Requirements:

  • Married or in a de-facto relationship with your sponsor;
  • Live together (or do not live apart on a permanent basis);
  • Commitment to a shared life to exclusion of all others;
  • Normally, you must have been in a relationship for at least 12 months. We can assist you to have this condition waived.

The documents required to satisfy the Australian Department of Immigration are extensive. Because of the cost of the visa, it is important to get it right the first time. Call our Migration Team to assist you through the process.


New Zealand Citizen Family Relationship (Temporary) visa (subclass 461)

This visa allows a non-New Zealand family member of a New Zealand citizen to live and work in Australia for up to five years.

You might be able to get this visa if:

  • you are not a New Zealand citizen
  • you are an eligible family member (e.g. spouse or dependent) of a New Zealand citizen
  • Your New Zealand citizen family member is living in Australia on a?Special Category visa (subclass 444) or will be travelling with you to Australia and will be granted a Special Category visa (subclass 444) on arrival.